BREXIT! The word that is dreaded by some.. The UK is now meant to be leaving the EU on the 31st of October. If you would like to travel to Europe with your pet after this date you need to get prepared!

When the UK leaves the EU it will become a third country. The EU Pet Travel Scheme has three categorisations of a third country:

  • Unlisted
  • Part 1 listed
  • Part 2 listed

Requirements for travelling with your pet will change but what it will change to is dependent on what category the UK becomes on exit day.

If there is a ‘No-deal’ BREXIT it is more than likely we will become a ‘Unlisted’ country. are recommending you contact your Veterinary Practice and start getting prepared at least 4 months before you are due to travel.

IF there is a no-deal BREXIT the following steps must be done (copied from the website):

A current EU pet passport issued in the UK will not be valid for travel to the EU

  1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies
  2. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination. (whether that’s a booster or initial vaccination) Your vet may recommend a booster rabies vaccination before this test.
  3. Your pet’s blood sample will be sent to a to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory
  4. Wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.
  5. The vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in an animal health certificate (AHC).

You will not be able to travel with your pet if you have not completed these steps. If the blood test result is not successful you’ll need a repeat vaccination and another blood test taken at least 30 days after the repeat vaccination.

Before you leave for Europe after the above steps have been taken you need to get a Animal Health Certificate from your Vet. This must be done no more than 10 days before travel. You will need to book in your pet with us to be examined by one of our official Vets who can issue and sign a Animal Health Certificate. According to the website you must bring this proof along with you:

  • your pet’s microchipping date
  • your pet’s vaccination history
  • a successful rabies antibody blood test result

The animal health certificate is valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue to enter the EU
  • onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue

You as a pet owner MUST keep up to date with changes to the Pet Travel Scheme, you can look on the website for the most up to date information.


 It is also your responsibility to check if there are any special requirements for the country you are entering.

 If you need any help or advice regarding Pet Travel or to book your pet in with us, please contact the surgery.